Saturday, May 11, 2013

GF Feb 1, 2013


I’m not a failure!

Listen to this


If you didn’t know, here is pertinent information for the following story.
 - I’m a girl
 - I’m a Engineering Major
 - I’m fairly smart
 - I’m sick a lot because I have an autoimmune disease so it looks like I’m a slacker in college
In my engineering lab, with a 18:2 ratio of guys to girls, I got paired up with 2 guys, go figure. It’s engineering so I wasn’t too surprised. I’m in almost all my classes with the same people at this point so I knew of these guys, and had spoken to them.
Lucky for me, the day of the pre-lab, where we go to find out what we’re doing, one of them came and told me not to worry because they had already done all the work (that wasn’t even technically assigned yet or possible to do without attending the lab session that afternoon), and would send it to me. 
See, they had met without me and done all the work so I wouldn’t have to, how nice of them. *insert sarcasm here*
When in the pre-lab, they generally excluded me from all conversations. About an hour into talks, I mentioned an answer to a question they asked and expounded upon it. I was right. If I didn’t know I was right, the look on my lab partners face would have told me so. 
I think these people counted me out. I don’t know if it’s because I have to miss because I’m sick with migraines and celiac or simply because I’m a girl, but either way, being counted out made me angry. 
Today, I’ve noticed that I’ve worked my butt off to prove them wrong, that not only am I going to do all the work, but I’m going to do it better then I normally would. 
I also realized that this has happened a few times for me, when professors or other people have told me that ‘you won’t pass’ or ‘you can’t do that’ and I go out of my way to prove the wrong, even if it isn’t the best thing for me to do. 
So, here is me. Proving that I’m going to do it. I’m going to do whatever it is people think I can’t. 

No comments:

Post a Comment